In this episode we are joined by special guest Dr Tobi Evans to chat about Arya and female masculinity in Jon II. You can find Tobi at https://likedrkarlbutqueerer.wordpress.com/ or follow them on Twitter @DrTobiEvans.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Halberstam, J. 1998, Female masculinity, Duke University Press.
- "Brienne and Arya: gender outlaws" (by Lo): https://lothelynx.wordpress.com/2020/08/27/brienne-and-arya-gender-outlaws/
- Carroll, S. 2018, Medievalism in a Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones, DS Brewer.
- Not a Cast Podcast (Episode 8: A GAME OF THRONES, ARYA I “Needlework”): https://notacastasoiaf.podbean.com/e/episode-8-a-game-of-thrones-arya-i-needlework/
- Evans, T. 2019, "Some Knights are Dark and Full of Terror: The Queer Monstrous Feminine, Masculinity, and Violence in the Martinverse," Journal of Language, Literature and Culture, vol. 66, no. 3, pp.134–156.
Also check out Jack Halberstam's blog post on Arya and Brienne in S8 of Game of Thrones: https://bullybloggers.wordpress.com/2019/05/21/a-knight-of-a-thousand-butches-by-jack-halberstam/
You can support us on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/tropewatchers.
If you enjoyed A Clash of Critics, check out our flagship podcast, Trope Watchers, the podcast about pop culture and why it matters: tropewatchers.com.
CW: A Clash of Critics frequently discusses issues such as violence, abuse, sexual assault, bigotry, and other sensitive topics.